Wednesday, November 5, 2008

“Have I really Fallen in Love?” [CATHWOR reflection paper]

Based on the 3 levels of love that were discussed this week, agape is the one that truly exhibits real love. I believe this because this is the only level in which nothing is expected in return. It seeks only the good of the person loved. As I understand it, agape is the love that is pure and selfless. Our professor mentioned that most people call those who exhibit agape love tanga. I guess that if that’s the real definition of tanga, I will be proud to say that I am one. Because of that, I suddenly began thinking and analyzing if I have been tanga.


When the topic is love, all my thoughts boil to one—memories with my ex-boyfriend. He was my first love and my first boyfriend as well. We were together for more than 2 years. As I look back on our relationship, I admit there were times that I demonstrated eros and philia kind of love which are not good at all. But I strongly believe that there were also times when I proved that my love for him is agape. Our relationship was far from perfect and it was at often times on the rocks. I don’t blame him to be the only cause and source of our conflicts. I know that I also do have my mistakes. Anyway, there have been numerous times he had hurt me and chose a computer game over me. Despite of that, I still continued to love him even if he doesn’t love me the way I do. I still give him my time and efforts even if he doesn’t give his. Most of my friends call me a martyr or tanga because of what I’m doing. I didn’t let them affect me for I know deep in my heart that this is how true love works. Even if we are broken up now, I still do love him. I am still waiting and hoping that THE day will come—the day that he will come back to me. That is the perfect day when God will allow and guide us to meet each other again.


Since I truly love him, the fact that he might meet someone better doesn’t make me mad. Yes, it saddens me for that person isn’t me. But because of the agape love I have for him, I won’t do anything to hinder that. If I push myself to him, I am robbing him of real and lasting joy that he is supposed to have. I am not “emo” and depressed about that though. God has always been here. He healed my wounds and mended my broken heart. He was the One Who made me accept the truths that takes a lifetime to accept. God gave me the hope that He would one day reveal to me the man He prepared me. I will WAIT for him.

No comments: